Sunday, February 10, 2008

Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies

Brian asked if I wanted to bake some cookies this weekend. I think we all know the answer to that question!

He was an awesome helper in the kitchen!


Brian recently bought a Cook's Illustrated magazine with a recipe for Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies. I've never seen one of these magazines, but they are awesome. It has drawings to go along with almost every recipe. Even though the magazine is mostly black and white, the pictures still seem very helpful. It's also interesting to read about how they test the recipes and what works and what doesn't.

This article was all about thin and crispy oatmeal cookies, not the traditional chewy raisin ones. I personally love the crispy oatmeal cookies. I remember when I worked at Panera I would eat the crispy edges of a Nutty Oatmeal Raisin cookie and throw away the chewy middle. But these cookies are perfectly crispy throughout! They are so tasty, I've had 3.5 already today! Dan especially liked that they were bigger than my usual cookies.

There is also a suggestion to put coarse sea salt on the cookies before they bake. We tried it with a few, and it was surprisingly delicious! And they came out sparkly, which is always a plus in my book.

No comments: